Sunday, December 9, 2012

Coyote Trapping


           Coyote trapping is a blast.  This coyote I trapped in a dirt hole set, using a 1.75 Victor coil spring trap.  My favorite set is the dirt hole set. I like to scout out a well traveled area that both coyote and fox are using.  When scouting look for tracks along roads, two tracks, sandy area ect.  Also look for coyote and fox scat (poop) this will tell you if the area is being used.  I keep a log book, writing down what I have found as future trapping spots.  When you find areas that look good map out set locations.  When making a dirt hole set find something to use as a good backing and site appeal.  Dig your dirt hole with your trowel at about a 45 degree angle under your backing, I like to dig my hole about 10 to 12 inches deep.  Then I dig my trap bed big enough and deep enough to pound down my trap stake and then seat my trap.  I like berkshire cable stakes, they're lighter than re-rod and very strong.  I personally like wax paper as a trap pan cover, works great.  I then using a sifter, sift sand over the well seated trap and cover the trap with a light covering of sand, making it look as natural as possible.  I then place a good amount of bait about a table spoon on a stick in the back of my dirt hole, placing a little grass or leaves at the entrance.  Now I like a good call lure placed on or above my backing about 4 drops works well for me.  Finishing the set I use a good squirt of fox urine on my backing, just as a coyote or fox marking his area.  I then use guide sticks on both sides of my set when needed to guide the animal over my trap.  This gives you a better chance for a good hold.  Try to keep your gloves and tools as clean and scent free as possible.   Using this set has produced great catches for me on both coyote and fox, and will help you too.  Happy Trapping.

No comments:

Post a Comment