Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Step In Flat Set


          Hello-------trappers today I got a very nice coyote in a flat step in set.  I have used this set for about 20 years, with very good results.  Coyotes and foxes readily come into this set.  I start with an area that is well traveled by K-9s.   I dig my set straight down about 12 inches and about an 1 inch bigger around than the trap I'm using.  I like a victor 1.75 trap or a victor 1 1/2 coil spring.  I pound my Berkshire stake in the bottom of the set, them sprinkle a little salt in the bottom of the set.  I then seat my trap, put my wax paper over the pan, then using my sifter, sift a small amount of dirt over the trap.   Then about 5 to 6 inches down the hole dig on a 45 degree angle a hole for your bait.  Dig the bait hole deep enough so that a coyote or fox can't reach in and pull the bait out. When the animal can't reach the bait it will step down onto your trap.  I don't use guide sticks at this set I want the animal to be able to come in from any direction.  I like to finish the set with a little shot of fox urine
and a good call lure and sometimes a few feathers for eye appeal.  This set works well in corn fields
power lines meadows and sandy areas.  With this set I have taken many K-9s over the years.  Its one of the sets thats made me good trapper and will help you to.

No comments:

Post a Comment