Saturday, April 11, 2009

My Family's Steelhead Fly


The Spring Wiggler Fly was created by my grandfather, Frank Spring in the early 1950's. He was an avid fisherman and wanted to create the perfect steelhead fly. I think he succeeded, and by the popularity of the Spring Wiggler I would say he did it. My father Phil Sr and Uncle Ron Spring carried on the tradition and legacy of creating this perfect steelhead fly. Now it's my turn.


These are three of the most popular colors. As an avid fisherman and steelhead guide, I've found that all three of these colors work well. Just yesterday I got a nice big female on the chartuese.

I use a variety of colors based on water conditions and lighting. Like today, the sun is shining bright so I would choose a darker colored fly. But always have an assortment of flies with me, in case the conditions change or the fish are picky.

Have more questions on the Spring Wiggler Fly or steelhead fishing? Contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment